CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Monitoring these girls isn't easy!

We've had a few bumps in the road getting our monitoring started.

Our current goal is to try to get a 5 minute "strip" of the girls' activity three times a day. So far I've had two sessions and each one has lasted about an hour. Each time they can only get one baby to stay on the monitors. It's a little disconcerting, but they spend the hour chasing the second baby around, so we're pretty sure they are both okay. They are going to bring up the ultrasound machine this afternooon to try to help them find both babies.

Some nurses are fine with this, others are more negative. I keep hearing how hard it is to monitor babies this young and that it's "never" done, and is "useless." That get's a little frustrating, but I know why I'm here, and the good nurses make up for the not so nice ones. I realize it's going to be hard, but we have a very rare, very high-risk type of twins, so they need special treatment and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

Sleeping here is somewhat difficult, but not awful. I know a lot of women who are admitted long term take something to help them sleep but I would rather not do that unless I have to. The food is also okay, and at least I get to order from a menu each meal so I'm not stuck with standard meals - unfortunately the selection isn't fabulous and they don't always get my order right, but this is a hospital after all.

I got out for a walk outside yesterday afternoon. That was really nice. I felt like a real person & even had a decaf latte and muffin at a cafe. I'm also making an effort to get dressed properly every day and not just stay in my pajamas :)

Here are a few photos from the ultrasound yesterday - I had another of those "ohmygoodness there are babies inside me" moments when I was looking at them. I can't wait to see what they look like!

Baby B was ready to be photographed.




Baby A was hiding, but you can see her face a little on the right (next to her sister's head).

1 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

I just stopped in from the momo boards. I'm thinking of you. HUGS.
Alee(user id from momo boards)